Tour de France à la Voile 2013
Groupama 34 win the second offshore leg from Breskens to Dieppe
jeudi 4 juillet 2013 –
Toutes les versions de cet article : [English] [français]
Groupama 34 crossed the finish line 25 hours after yesterday’s leg start in Breskens. The other 11 M34s all finished with 51 minutes. The fleet sailed upwind for 25 hours in the rain, fighting current, heavy waves and taking almost 200 times.
“We are happy to arrive,” admits Groupama navigator Erwan Israël. “It was a bit long. The M34 M34 #M34 is tough and physically demanding.
“We had a good fight with Sodebo, Bretagne Crédit Mutuel Elite and Team OmanSail yesterday afternoon, shortly after the start,” he says. “Crédit Mutuel was super fast and we took a small lead on the others. We were a bit lucky when sailing past Dunkirk. The wind shifted to the right and we were on the right – it gave us a little boost. We stayed in the current longer and increased our lead by sheer luck. After Gris Nez we only had to keep the fleet to our stern.”
It was a gruelling sail. The wind dropped from 15 to less than 10 knots and shifted constantly from the SW and the W. Many competitors went aground on sand banks. Visibility was poor due to the fog. Hours of hiking (sitting on the rail) are exhausting ; sleep deprivation leads to seasickness and cold food hardly provides sustenance.
The sailors are truly relieved to be in Dieppe tonight, especially the race leaders as points were multiplied by a factor of 4 on this leg. The rest of the fleet earned a much anticipated stretch, meal and rest.
Groupama lead the temporary overall ranking and Bretagne Crédit Mutuel Elite climb to second place. Sodebo are third overall after crossing the line in third. Meanwhile, Courrier Dunkerque drop to 4th place overall and OmanSail drop to 5th overall. Normandie barely lead the amateur ranking, tied for points with Iskareen.
Classement général provisoire après 9 courses :
- 1 GROUPAMA 34, CAMMAS Franck 347 pts - Spi Bleu
- 2 BRETAGNE CREDIT MUTUEL ELITE, TROUSSEL Nicolas 316 pts
- 3 COURRIER DUNKERQUE 3, SOUBEN Daniel 308 pts
- 4 TEAM OMANSAIL, POULIGNY Cédric 308 pts
- 5 SODEBO, COVILLE Thomas 289 pts
- 6 VILLE DE GENEVE - CARREFOUR ADDICTIONS, METTRAUX Elodie-Jane et GROUX Nicolas 279 pts
- 7 TOULON PROVENCE MEDITERRANEE - COYCH, BERNAZ Jean-Baptiste 267 ts
- 8 NANTES - SAINT NAZAIRE - E.LECLERC, DOUGUET Corentin 263 pts
- 9 NORMANDIE, CHOQUENET Baptiste 231 pts
- 10 ISKAREEN, DITTMERS Christiane et BRUHNS Sönke 231 pts
- 11 MARTINIQUE - BE.BRUSSELS, WOLTERS Delphine et MOURES Matthieu 219 pts
- 12 BIENNE - VOILE – SRS, PETER Luzius et KUNZ François 210 pts
Dans la même rubrique
Rolex Capri Sailing Week Volcano Race : Alexander Schaerer’s Mini Maxi Caol Ila R secured line honours and the handicap victory
Tour de France à la Voile 2013 : 13 teams will be on the start line of the 36th edition of the Tour de France
Sailing Arabia - The Tour : Bertrand Pacé : "everyone was very focussed on winning this race"